Looking for the Best Tile paint for floors and Shower? Then, you are in the right place. Painting the tiles is a budget-friendly solution for improving the appearance of your household instead of tiling it back. We have selected our top picks out of a number of different colors and formulas that don’t require any priming or sanding.
You might be considering replacing the tiles in your home if they look worn out. In other words, by using the best tile paint you will improve the appearance and feel of your tiles without replacing them.
How do you choose the right tile paint for your needs? This depends on what you’re painting. You should always choose a paint specifically formulated for the job at hand. Consider painting your floor tiles with a paint specifically formulated for floor tiles rather than your kitchen wall tiles.
We have tried and tested a wide range of tile paints alongside thousands of reviews from different DIY sites to put together the definitive ‘Best Tile paint for floors and Shower’ guide.
List of the best Tile paint for the Bathroom and floors
We have compiled a list of the Best Tile Paint you can use to fix old floors and showers.
Ronseal tile paint is widely known for being the best in the market. You can make a tile effect without having to replace all the tiles in the room, according to the brand. As well as being easy to use, it doesn’t require a primer and doesn’t leave brush marks behind when applied correctly.
In terms of its desirable properties, it is durable, mold-resistant, and waterproof, making it an ideal material for tiled surfaces. The only catch is that it is not recommended for use on work surfaces or floor tiles.
Ronseal One Coat’s other features include:
- Eight square meters per liter.
- Brush applied.
- 13 colours.
- Canister of 750 ml.
- High level of protection.
- Gives a shiny, satin finish.
One coat of Ronseal tile paint is actually great for a variety of applications. It is easy to use and dries quickly. The brand provides a huge range of colors, beautiful enough to go well with your cookery and washroom.
- It saves you time and effort if you only need to apply one coat to your tiles.
- Satin finishes with a slight sheen.
- Low VOC content makes it environment-friendly.
- Applying is easy.
- Once set, it is durable.
- It discolours.
- It will probably take two coats for anything but white tiles
Rust-Oleum All Surface Paint works wonders as a tile paint, even though it can be used on a range of surfaces. There are many colors available so you can choose what works best for you. Additionally, using this paint will allow you to match your freshly painted tiles to the rest of the room.
Due to its composition, this paint and primer are applicable for both indoors and outdoors. It is wise to use primer when painting non-ferrous or galvanized surfaces.
Rust-Oleum Universal Paint has some additional features:
- Dries in 2 hours.
- Tins of 250 or 750 ml.
- 18 different colors are available.
- Compatible with wood, metal, and plastic surfaces as well.
- It can cover up to 9 square meters per liter.
- Can be applied with a brush.
Prior to painting, make sure you check what surface you will be painting, as some surfaces as such, which require a primer or two coats before putting on the universal paint. Anyway, it is available in a huge range of colors which eases out your bathroom and kitchen painting, along with being absolutely wonderful.
- Suitable for even amateur painters.
- This high-quality finish comes in a variety of colours.
- After application, the colour remains unchanged.
- Exceptional durability; even exterior surfaces can be treated.
Adding a fresh new coat of paint to your kitchen or bathroom tiles is easy with Johnstone’s Revive range.
In just two hours, the skin is touch dry.
The overall paint coverage is ultimate when applied, exceptionally with a brush or roller.
Paint for all-surface surfaces is available in three different colors: pale grey, antique cream, and white. It dries to a gloss finish.
Here are the main features of Johnstone’s Revive Tile Paint:
- The coating acts as both paint and primer.
- Priming or sanding is not necessary on most surfaces.
- A durable paint that is perfect for kitchen and bathroom environments.
- Tiles and splashbacks can be used with this product.
- Having a low odor.
Using the paint on kitchen tiles, bathroom tiles, or splashbacks is an excellent upcycling idea.
Changing the color of tiles on a bathroom wall or kitchen can instantly give it a brand new look, and Johnstone’s revive tile paint is perfect for achieving this look.
It completely changed the tiled area of the bathroom. After applying the Pale Grey, we were very pleased with the outcome.
This coating is ideal for tiles with a bright appearance and durability.
- Even amateur painters can apply it.
- Ensures a high-quality glossy finish.
- Gray gives the look of modernity.
- One coat may be enough in some cases.
- Ideal for either kitchens or bathrooms.
Dulux Tile Paint is a premier paint manufacturer with years of satisfied customers.Be it bathroom or kitchen, this paint is considered one of the toughest and most durable products available today. You can see how powerful it is, much stronger when compared to other conventional water-based satin paints.
As far as the finish is concerned, you can expect it to be a shiny white gloss that has the effect of brightening up the room and giving it a nice, clean look. The application of this tile paint has been problematic for some, which is why we did not vote it the best tile paint overall. A good tip for applying this paint is to use a nice gloss roller as you can achieve even coverage and consistency using that method.
- 18 m2/L coverage.
- Two coats: four hours.
- Rolling or brushing.
- A gloss finish that is shiny and white.
- Suitable for use on tiles in a shower area, it is highly durable.
- This material has a nice thickness and covers old patterns and colours with ease.
- One of the highest coverages of all tile paints.
- Drying can cause color loss.
An acrylic-based gloss paint, Rustins is suitable for tile, brick, and concrete surfaces. The brand claims that the opacity of the paint allows for great coverage because the paint contains special pigments that ensure that the paint gives a high-quality finish.
You can apply it easily using a brush or roller and sand the paint lightly between coats if you want a smoother finish. Due to its hard wearing and durable nature, it can also be used indoors and outdoors.
The following are other features of Rustins Quick Dry Step & Tile:
- Weather-resistant product
- Paint covers 14m2 per liter
- The drying process typically takes 30 minutes
- A choice of three colors
- Apply by hand or by roller
In summary, Rustins Quick Dry offers excellent coverage and a high-quality finish that will not let you down. However, in order to extend its durability, it’s recommended that two coats be applied and that each coat be left on between the other for at least 4 hours.
- Easy to use even for amateur painters.
- Ensures a high-quality matt finish.
- The colour remains the same after application.
- One coat may be enough in some cases.
- Using it on exterior tiles makes it perfect because of its durability and weather resistance.
- Tiles with a glaze cannot be used
The International Tile Paint is a high-quality, budget-friendly product that you may want to consider if you don’t mind a limited color selection. There are only three shades of the product, and it has a high-sheen finish that mimics the natural shine of glazed ceramic tiles.
The waterproof formula protects surfaces from moisture, which makes it more suitable for bathrooms than kitchens. It is also suitable for use in the kitchen thanks to its ultra-tough, scratch-resistant finish. However, International Tile Paint is not recommended for use near heat.
The use is restricted to glazed ceramic wall tiles. Even though it is an affordable product, it is incredibly valuable compared to a full tile replacement.
Adherence is our favorite feature. No primer is required, which helps to reduce redecoration costs. It also provides excellent coverage. 750ml of the product is supplied in tins that contain 6m2 of tiles.
- Oil-based formula offers excellent coverage. There is usually enough paint in a liter to cover up to 8 m2, and one coat is usually sufficient.
- Scratch-resistant paint can hide cracks in old tiles.
- The exceptional viscosity of the product allows it to be applied with a roller without leaving unflattering marks.
- International Tile Paint is toxic, and it should not be used in poorly ventilated areas. The smell is almost unbearable.
- Three neutral shades are available, though each hue dries to a slightly different shade.
- The product is only suitable for ceramic wall tiles that are glazed. Worktops and floors made of ceramic cannot be treated with this product.
Tile Paint Colours Guide
The perfect tile paint color depends on your personal preference as well as how seamlessly your choice will blend with your current interior colors. This being said, here’s an easy guide on choosing the perfect paint color for your tile backsplash.
01. Light Colours
Currently, lighter colors like cream, off-white, and light gray are most popular. Paint in one of these colors brightens up a room and helps to give the perception of a larger space, which helps to increase a property’s value.
The lighter the colour, the more likely the surface will show marks, dirt, and dust, but in our view, this isn’t necessarily bad as it helps keep your kitchen or bathroom clean.
02. Neutral Colours
In case you cannot decide what looks best with your current color scheme, picking something neutral may be the best option.
Grey, beige, and sand are neutral colors that will seamlessly blend into your current color scheme and avoid disastrous color clashes.
03. Dark Colours
Some people view dark-colored tiles as a risk and are not accustomed to them, however, in the right setting, dark coloured tiles can really offer a luxurious and relaxing look.
In the bathroom, dark blues, blacks, and oranges look particularly appealing when contrasting with the whites of the sink, bath, and toilet for a stunning, modern, but bold appearance.
What paint works best on tile?
Epoxy paints or tile paints are needed to paint tiles. Such paints are designed to adhere to tiles. These paints are washable and extremely durable. Spread the paint evenly on the tiles using a roller.
Do painting tiles really work?
So, you can, technically, paint floor tiles. In spite of the fact that the result won’t last for as long as you’d like, painting tile floors may actually cause maintenance problems.
Does painting tile really last?
If you have excessive traffic on the floor, yes, you can paint the floor tiles to last! There are, however, a few things to keep in mind! Taking a look at the room in its entirety, the painted floor tile appears to be in good condition.
Can you paint tiles in the shower?
Shower tiles can be painted, although the best results will come from painting tiles in areas that are less moist, such as the tile behind the toilet and the backsplash over the sink. Ceramic tile painting requires a proper preparation.
Do you need to prime tiles before painting?
Ideally, you should apply a primer to tiles before painting them. It is not necessary, but it will ensure a stronger – more durable finish.
A new look for your tiles doesn’t need to cost a fortune. The removal and replacement of old tiles can be costly and create unnecessary disruption.
Tile paints are water-resistant and built to last, as they are designed to handle the rigors of kitchen and bathroom environments.
There are no chips or cracks in this product.
In addition to being cost-effective, it is also easy to create a whole makeover for significantly less than 100 pounds, including brushes and protective equipment such as masking tape.
Decide on the new color first. Colour has a great impact on how family and guests perceive your home.
Please let us know how you got on after re-coating your kitchen and bathroom tiles.