Looking for the Best Tile paint for floors and Shower? Then, you are in the right place. Painting the tiles is a budget-friendly solution for improving the appearance of your household instead of tiling it back. We have selected our top picks out of several different colours and formulas that don’t require any priming or sanding.
You might be considering replacing the tiles in your home if they look worn out. In other words, by using the best tile paint you will improve the appearance and feel of your tiles without replacing them.
How do you choose the right tile paint for your needs? This depends on what you’re painting. You should always choose a paint specifically formulated for the job at hand. Consider painting your floor tiles with a paint specifically formulated for floor tiles rather than your kitchen wall tiles.
We have tried and tested a wide range of tile paints alongside thousands of reviews from different DIY sites to put together the definitive ‘Best Tile paint for floors and Shower’ guide.
List of the best Tile paint for the Bathroom and floors
We have compiled a list of the Best Tile Paint you can use to fix old floors and showers.
Ronseal tile paint is widely known for being the best in the market. You can make a tile effect without having to replace all the tiles in the room, according to the brand. As well as being easy to use, it doesn’t require a primer and doesn’t leave brush marks behind when applied correctly.
In terms of its desirable properties are durable, mould-resistant, and waterproof, making it an ideal material for tiled surfaces. The only catch is that it is not recommended for use on work surfaces or floor tiles.
Ronseal One Coat’s other features include:
- Eight square meters per litre.
- Brush applied.
- 13 colours.
- Canister of 750 ml.
- High level of protection.
- Gives a shiny, satin finish.
One coat of Ronseal tile paint is great for a variety of applications. It is easy to use and dries quickly. The brand provides a huge range of colours, beautiful enough to go well with your crockery and washroom.
- It saves you time and effort for you can get awesome textures with only one application in case you are running out of time.
- Satin finishes with a slight sheen touch.
- Low VOC content makes it environment-friendly.
- Applying is easy.
- Once set, it is durable.
- It discolours.
- It will probably take two coats for anything but white tiles
Rust-Oleum All Surface Paint works wonders as a tile paint, even though it can be used on a range of surfaces. There are many colours available so you can choose the one which works best for you. Additionally, using this paint will allow you to match your freshly painted tiles to the rest of the room.
Due to its composition, this paint cum primer is applicable for both indoors and outdoors. It is wise to use primer when painting non-ferrous or galvanized surfaces.
Rust-Oleum Universal Paint has some additional features:
- Dries in 2 hours.
- Tins of 250 or 750 ml.
- 18 different colours are available.
- Compatible with wood, metal, and plastic surfaces as well.
- It can cover up to 9 square meters per litre.
- Can be applied with a brush.
Before painting, make sure you check what surface you will be painting, as some surfaces are as such, which require a primer or two coats before putting on the universal paint. Anyway, it is available in a huge range of colors which eases out your bathroom and kitchen painting, along with being wonderful.
- Suitable for even amateur painters.
- This high-quality finish comes in a variety of colours.
- After application, the colour remains unchanged.
- Exceptional durability; even exterior surfaces can be treated.
Adding a fresh new coat of paint to your kitchen or bathroom tiles is easy with Johnstone’s Revive range.
In just two hours, the skin is touch dry.
The overall paint coverage is ultimate when applied, exceptionally with a brush or roller.
Paint for all-surface surfaces is available in three different colours: pale grey, antique cream, and white. It dries to a gloss finish.
Here are the main features of Johnstone’s Revive Tile Paint:
- The coating acts as both paint and primer.
- Priming or sanding is not necessary on most surfaces.
- A durable paint that is perfect for kitchen and bathroom environments.
- Tiles and splashbacks can be used with this product.
- Has a low odour.
Using the paint on kitchen tiles, bathroom tiles, or splashbacks is an excellent upcycling idea.
Changing the colour of tiles on a bathroom wall or kitchen can instantly give it a brand new look, and Johnstone’s revive tile paint is perfect for achieving this look.
It completely changes the tiled area of the bathroom. This coating is ideal for tiles with a bright appearance and durability.
- Even amateur painters can apply it.
- Ensures a high-quality glossy finish.
- Gray gives the look of modernity.
- One coat may be enough in some cases.
- Ideal for both kitchens and bathrooms.
Dulux Tile Paint is a premier paint manufacturer with years of satisfied customers. Be it bathroom or kitchen, this paint is considered one of the toughest and most durable products available today. You can see how powerful it is, much stronger when compared to other conventional water-based satin paints.
As far as the finish is concerned, you can expect it to be a shiny white gloss that has the effect of brightening up the room and giving it a nice, clean look. The application of this tile paint has been problematic for some, which is why we did not vote it the best tile paint overall. A good tip for applying this paint is to use a nice gloss roller as you can achieve even coverage and consistency using that method.
- 18 m2/L coverage.
- Two coats: four hours.
- Rolling or brushing.
- A gloss finish that is shiny and white.
- Suitable for use on tiles in a shower area, it is highly durable.
- This material has a nice thickness and covers old patterns and colours with ease.
- One of the highest coverages of all tile paints.
- Drying can cause colour loss.
An acrylic-based gloss paint, Rustins is suitable for tile, brick, and concrete surfaces. The brand claims that the opacity of the paint enables great coverage because the paint contains special pigments that ensure a high-quality finish.
You can apply it easily using a brush or roller and sand the paint lightly between coats if you want a smoother finish. Due to its hard wearing and durable nature, it can be used indoors as well as outdoors.
The following are other features of Rustins Quick Dry Step & Tile:
- Weather-resistant product
- Paint covers 14m2 per litre
- The drying process typically takes 30 minutes
- A choice of three colours
- Apply by hand or by roller
In summary, Rustins Quick Dry offers excellent coverage and a high-quality finish that will not let you down. However, to extend its durability, it’s recommended that two coats be applied and that the two coatings applied should have a gap of 4 hours.
- Easy to use even for amateur painters.
- Ensures a high-quality matt finish.
- The colour remains the same after application.
- One coat may be enough in some cases.
- Using it on exterior tiles makes it perfect because of its durability and weather resistance.
- Tiles with glaze cannot be used
The International Tile Paint is a high-quality, budget-friendly product that you may want to consider if you don’t mind a limited colour selection. There are only three shades of the product, and it has a high-sheen finish that mimics the natural shine of glazed ceramic tiles.
The waterproof formula protects surfaces from moisture, which makes it more suitable for bathrooms than kitchens. It is also suitable for use in the kitchen: thanks to its ultra-tough, scratch-resistant finish. However, International Tile Paint is not recommended for use near heat.
The use is restricted to glazed ceramic wall tiles. Even though it is an affordable product, it is incredibly valuable compared to a full tile replacement.
Adherence is the most favourite feature. No primer is required, which helps to reduce redecoration costs. It also provides excellent coverage. 750ml of the product is supplied in tins that contain 6m2 of tiles.
- The oil-based formula offers excellent coverage. There is usually enough paint in a litre to cover up to 8 m2, and one coat is usually sufficient.
- Scratch-resistant paint can hide cracks in old tiles.
- The exceptional viscosity of the product allows it to be applied with a roller without leaving unflattering marks.
- International Tile Paint is toxic, and it should not be used in poorly ventilated areas. The smell is unbearable.
- Three neutral shades are available, though each hue dries to a slightly different shade.
- The product is only suitable for ceramic wall tiles that are glazed. Worktops and floors made of ceramic cannot be treated with this product.
Tile Paint Colours Guide
Are you looking to give your home a makeover on a budget? Painting your tiles is an economical solution that can instantly refresh the appearance of your kitchen or bathroom. However, selecting the ideal color for your tiles can be a daunting task, especially when you want to ensure that the hue complements your existing décor and style.
With this in mind, let’s explore a guide to finding the perfect tile paint color:
- Neutral Shades: If you prefer a safe and versatile option, opt for neutral tones like white, beige, and grey. These colors will blend seamlessly with any interior design style.
- Vibrant Hues: Want to make a bold statement? Look no further than eye-catching colors like blue, green, or red. These hues are best suited for small spaces such as bathrooms.
- Earth Tones: Warm and inviting, earth tones like brown, orange, and yellow are ideal for kitchens.
- Soft Pastels: If you want a calming and soothing atmosphere, pastel shades like light blue, pink, and green are perfect for bedrooms or living rooms.
When selecting your tile paint color, consider the existing décor and style of your home, as well as the room in which you plan to paint the tiles. This guide should help you make the ideal choice to achieve the fresh new look you desire.
What paint works best on tile?
Epoxy paints or tile paints are the best paint tiles. Such paints are designed to adhere to tiles. These paints are washable and extremely durable. Spread the paint evenly on the tiles using a roller.
Do painting tiles really work?
You can, technically, paint floor tiles. Even though the result won’t last for as long as you’d like, painting tile floors may cause maintenance problems.
Does painting tile really last?
In case you have excessive traffic on the floor, you can consider painting the floor tiles to last! There are, however, a few things to keep in mind. Taking a look at the room in its entirety, the painted floor tile appears to be in good condition.
Can you paint the tiles in the shower?
Shower tiles can be painted, although the best results will come from painting tiles in less moist areas, such as the tile behind the toilet and the backsplash over the sink. Ceramic tile painting requires proper preparation.
Do you need to apply a primer to tiles before painting?
Ideally, you should apply a primer to tiles before painting them. It is not necessary, but it will ensure a stronger – more durable finish.
A new look for your tiles doesn’t need to cost a fortune. The removal and replacement of old tiles can be costly and create unnecessary disruption.
Tile paints are water-resistant and built to last, as they are designed to handle the rigours of kitchen and bathroom environments.
There are no chips or cracks in this product.
In addition to being cost-effective, it is also easy to create a whole makeover for significantly less than 100 pounds, including brushes and protective equipment such as masking tape.
Decide on the new colour first. Colour has a great impact on how family and guests perceive your home.
Please let us know how you got on after re-coating your kitchen and bathroom tiles.